Minnesota Afterfire LARP

Welcome to the Ashes!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Pre-Reg  Rulebook  

Share | 

Some sort of engineer thing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KyleSchmelz

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race: Synthetic
Class: Survivalist

PostSubject: Some sort of engineer thing?   Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:09 am

So I'm thinking about a Survivalist, either a Synthetic or a Human depending on how much makeup I feel like wearing. As far as I can tell, not all of the rules are currently available? I only see the first six sections. Making some assumptions on how stuff works, though, this is what I'm thinking right now.

Survivalist
Civilian Firearms (3)
3x Crafting: Engineering (15)
3x Crafting: Chemistry (15)
Jack of All Trades (6)
Total of 39 build spent

If I'm reading things right, I can make some cool stuff with Engineering and Chemistry. Also I get +10 damage to grenades, I can reuse bullet reps(?), my armor counts for an extra point per location, and I can refit basic armor in 30 seconds. Jack of All Trades gives me at least 20 build worth of skills for 6 build, in that I get 3 ranks of Armorer and Demolitions, so I can wear up to 40 points of armor and use grenades and junk. Also I'll get more free skills if I buy more craft skills.

If I somehow get more build (build progression isn't actually in the part of the rulebook I can access), I'll probably pick up Personal Modification (more bonus armor, weapon mods, yay) more Crafting skills, Combat Engineering, Master Crafting, Ambidexterity, Repair, junk like that. Is there any cool Survivalist stuff (aside from the actual combat skills) I'm missing out on? I've never played a crafting character in any of the LARPs I've done so I want to do that for Afterfire.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead One
Admin

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Class:

PostSubject: Re: Some sort of engineer thing?   Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:38 am

Your card seems to be correct. I think the additional Armorer is likely a mistake that I'll have to talk to the other staff about. Fireteam skills are useful too, but those are kind of combat related. A lot of the skills available to them enables them to use a bunch of their items they craft.
Luckily this post has revealed to me that there is a bug in the code and I'll be trying to sort that out.

Edit: bug should be mostly sorted out now. I reformatted the rulebook and all the links for patches, html, and other chapters should be here

-----------------------------------------------------------
- Erik Anderson
Co-Owner, Logistics, and Tech Support
Characters:

Stitch (Sorcerer)
         Synth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KyleSchmelz

Character sheet
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: Some sort of engineer thing?   Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:21 am

So, just to make sure I'm reading things correctly: you can carry any number of bullet tags on you, but if you have more tags than darts, you will have to reload at some point. Reloading can be done in the sleeping area, with a large backpack, or with an ammo box on the field. With the Chemistry rank 3 ability, that requirement basically goes away, meaning I can carry and use as many bullet tags as I want, picking up darts as I go.

Is the intended to be a self-only ability, or can someone with 3 ranks of Chemistry basically serve as a walking ammo box for other characters? It's probably not ever going to be a particularly vital ability since it can be replicated by wearing a backpack, but I figure it's better to ask than just assume.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clarence Flintlock

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race: Gnome
Class: Agent

PostSubject: Re: Some sort of engineer thing?   Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:16 am

you need some kind of hard-sided container to reload ammo, but other than that you are correct. One other point to mention is that a backpack needs to be tagged as a reloading station for only one class of item. thus if you want a bag to reuse medical reps, then that same bag can not be used to reload bullets. Also the wording on that chemistry perk is being expanded to include reps used by both the heavy weapons and demolitions skills.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KyleSchmelz

Character sheet
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: Some sort of engineer thing?   Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:49 pm

I'm considering swapping engineering for medical - if you get Med Tech via Jack of All Trades, does it also grant you First Aid or do you have to get that separately?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clarence Flintlock

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race: Gnome
Class: Agent

PostSubject: Re: Some sort of engineer thing?   Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:09 pm

Yes, you do get first aid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KyleSchmelz

Character sheet
Character Name:

PostSubject: Re: Some sort of engineer thing?   Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:24 pm

So the build I decided on (after a few other variations) is the same as my initial idea but with medical instead of engineering:

Civilian Firearms
3x Crafting: Chemistry
3x Crafting: Medical
Jack of All Trades

I wanna make sure I'm not missing anything rep-wise. Here's what I'm probably bringing to game with me:

Costuming, makeup, leather jacket for a wee bit of armor, one or two Nerf guns, about 40 darts, 20 plastic syringes (that will hopefully show up in time, maybe not), some borrowed grenades, several bandages, maybe a holster if I get time, a couple bags for carrying stuff, some stuff to donate...

Is there any essential gear I'm forgetting?

I'm not currently planning to bring a melee weapon. Will that matter? I'll have my starting 30 bullets along with some nicer bullets from my first batch of crafting. Will that last me more than a fight or two? Are bullets easy enough to come by that I don't really need a backup melee stick? Keeping in mind I'll have injection and bandage-based healing (and given that I'm a brand new character coming in with no direct combat skills other than Civilian Firearms) I probably don't need to be in combat all day long...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Luther

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race: Linnae
Class: Sorcerer

PostSubject: Re: Some sort of engineer thing?   Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:14 am

My suggestion is to bring the stick if you have one. You don't always have to bring it into a mod with you, but we have been known to run low on ammo for the entire town. Of course, don't forget to bring sleeping gear as well. And probably a change of socks if it gets wet out.

IG: Luther
OOG: Tanner Phillips
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alice_Weaver

Character sheet
Character Name:
Class: Guardian

PostSubject: Re: Some sort of engineer thing?   Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:23 pm

A don't hit me stick is ALWAYS a good thing. Always.

OOG: Emma B
IG: Clarisse "Dollface" Stoneskin

Dear plot team, I'm still waiting for my very tiny gopher
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some sort of engineer thing?   

Back to top Go down

Some sort of engineer thing?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1